The Autism Society Philippines (ASP) is a national, non-profit organization dedicated to the well-being of persons on the autism spectrum disorder. We envision a society where Filipinos on the spectrum become the best of their potentials -- self-reliant, independent, productive, socially-accepted citizens of an Autism-OK Philippines.

21 October 2010

Training to Speak for Autism

By: Joy Ofrecia, ASP Parent Member


I’ve always been a full-time mother to my first born son, Juris, who is now eleven. He was diagnosed with autism in October 2001. And because of my son’s diagnosis, I felt the need to equip myself on how to handle and manage a child with autism.

ASP Laguna Chapter has been very instrumental in my journey with autism through the support group and the trainings and seminars they conduct. My engagements with the chapter helped me to become a fit mother to my child with special needs.

But as time passed, a realization came to me. All the things that happened are preparations for a greater call. I took a course in Special Education and became a certified Sped Teacher. Later, I realized it is also my heart’s desire to empower parents of children with autism and be an advocate not just for my son but for all the persons with autism (PWAs).

Last October 1, 2010 an invitation came from KAMPI (Katipunan ng Maykapansanan sa Pilipinas, Inc.) for a Speakers’ Training on Public Speaking at Asian Social Institute. I had doubts about attending because all I know is teaching PWAs and their parents and I was not sure I had the potential to speak in front of people. After much consideration, I decided to go despite my doubts and nervousness.
Ms. Joy Ofrecia during the Speakers’ Training
on Public Speaking of KAMPI at Asian Social Institute

In this training, I learned how to prepare a PowerPoint presentation and the Do’s and Don’ts in Public Speaking. This training opened new doors for me. It helped me discover the gifts I have been blessed with by our Creator.

Aside from the many public speaking tips, I came in close contact with differently-abled individuals who, despite their physical challenges, continue to live with dignity and purpose. They inspired me all the more to spread awareness, to advocate for autism and the PWD sector in general, whatever it takes.

I believe that not everybody is blessed with potentials or is given the opportunity to speak in front of a crowd, or to be a channel for autism. But each of us can be an advocate in our own special way for whatever cause we truly believe in. Being an advocate means it does not matter how many you have reached, but how you have influenced each individual you have encountered.

I know I still have much to learn in order to fulfill my purpose in life, and this training is a start of a new and greater endeavor as an advocate and a mother of a child with Autism.

Acknowledgments: Thank you so much to ASP, through Mr. Ranil Sorongon, for inviting me and to our Chair Emeritus, Ms. Dang Koe, for the opportunity to be blessed with her expertise.

========

ASP continues to Share Hopes and Build Dreams for the future of families of children with autism. To request for a Speakers Training for Autism Public Speaking, email us at autismphils@gmail.com or call us at 929 8447/ 926 6941

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Sweet Tomatoes Printable Coupons